b 31/3/1870 at Cheltenham, son of Captain A D Toogood, Bengal Fusiliers, and later Queen’s Bodyguard. He was gazetted, 29 October 1890, 2/Lt, Border Regiment. He became Lieutenant 21/12/1892. He served during the Waziristan Expedition, 1894-95; 26/5/1900 became Capt, Manchester Regiment. He served in the South African War, He married, in 1899, Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of General Henry Pipon, CB, and Louisa Anne, (daughter of Admiral Sir William Edmonstone, 4th Baronet, CB, of Duntreath, Stirlingshire, Scotland).1899-1900 on the Staff, afterwards employed with the Mounted Infantry, was present at the Relief of Ladysmith; during the operations in the Transvaal October to December 1901, and February to April 1902. In the operations in Orange River Colony, December 1901 to February 1902 and during operations in Cape Colony, September to October 1901. He was mentioned in Despatches (Sir R H Buller, 30 March and November 1900 [London Gazette, 8 February 1901, and 25 April 1902). He received the Queen’s Medal with three clasps, and the King’s Medal with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. [London Gazette, 19 April 1901: “Cecil Toogood, Captain, Manchester Regiment. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa”). The Insignia were sent to South Africa, and presented there by the Duke of Cornwall and York 14/8/1901. He was Adjutant, Volunteers, 3/1/1904 to 31/10/1907, and Regimental Staff Officer 13/12/1907. Promoted to Captain, Lincolnshire Regiment, 18/1/1908. Recruiting Staff Officer; Sheffield Recruiting Area, 3/12/1907 to 4/5/1911. 1911C living at Barnfield Villa, Hathersage, known locally as ‘Major’. Recruiting Staff Officer; Belfast Recruiting Area, 5/5/1911 to 31/3/1912. Promoted to Major 15/5/1914; Adjutant, Officers’ Training Corps, 23/5/1914 to 4/6/1914. He served in the European War from 1914 commanding the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment; –  “Shot by a sniper and left in a trench” at the battle of Le Cateau in August 1914, ‘Missing believed killed’. The Army found out he was alive only after his wife received a letter from the German doctor in Paderborn German Hospital, Westphalia who operated on him, informing her he was a P O W.

There is a footnote in the Regimental History that mentions he was wounded “whilst observing the Germans through his field glasses.” He was mentioned in Despatches, and promoted to Lieutenant Colonel 11/3/1918.

Post-WW1 he was OC 2 Lincs in Poona.

His eldest son Lt Alexander Cecil Henry b1900 was serving in the 1 Lincs in Ireland when he was captured and executed by the IRA in June 1921. (See the Lincolnshire Echo, 21/6/1921, for a detailed account of his son’s kidnap and murder).  A telegram was sent to Col Toogood who returned immediately. He resigned his Commission in January 1922 (maybe because of what happened to his son?) Cecil died 1958 in Australia.

There is quite lot of correspondence between Col Toogood and the War Office regarding his son, and about if there was any negligence by his son’s Commanding Officer in allowing him (and two fellow Officers) to leave base

The photo of his son is kept at the Lincolnshire Regt Archives along with several other documents relating to the Lincolnshire Regiment in Ireland, including this very sad letter: –

“My dear Col Wilson,

I am about to be shot in half an hour. I was captured by the I.R.A. when out for a walk with two gunner subalterns Bettridge and Glossop.

Our captives have been very kind to us and treat us with every consideration, as regards our comfort and food.

Would you give my best love and farewell to all the Officers and Mess of the Battalion with which I have had such an awfully good time during my short career in the Army.

Would you send the enclosed off to Mother and My brother. 

Goodbye Sir, Yours V sincerely Alex Toogood.

From the ‘Battalion Bugle’ of the day; The IMP magazine;

“The brutal and cowardly murder of 2/Lt A. C. H Toogood came as a tremendous shock to all ranks of the Battalion. This murder differs from the others, as Mr Toogood, together with two Royal Field Artillery officers, was out in mufti for recreational purposes and not on duty of any sort. The three officers left Fethard on Sunday afternoon, June 20th 1921 and failed to return to barracks. The first intimation that somethings was amiss was received at Tipperary Barracks about 10.30 am on Monday June 21st 1921, a report being received that three officers were missing and that search parties were out, but half an hour later, a message came through to say that they had been found shot dead.

Mr Toogood was a very popular officer with all ranks, enthusiastic on parade, on the playing field, always busy and smiling, he is sadly missed. There were mainly moist eyes in the barracks on that day.”